Headdder

The Kinder Years Pinterest Instagram Twitter thekinderyears@gmail.com Bloglovin Facebook

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Full Day Kindergarten vs. Half Day Kindergarten



I’m a full day kindergarten teacher and at the end of the day there are still so many more things that I wish I could try to shove into their tiny little brains!

I wonder, often, how half day teachers find enough time to teach all the standards with a full class. I know they get the job done! Kudos to them! Personally, I think half day kindergarten is a good transition into formal schooling. The class I have this year is so tired during the second half of the day. (Literally, I spend so much time asking children to sit up because they are sprawled out on the carpet drooling and possibly asleep.) It is a big adjustment going from playing the majority of the day to subject after subject that needs their attention/energy.  My baby, Scarlet, will just be turning 5 the beginning of the school year when she is ready for kindergarten. So, it will be interesting to see if she is ready socially, emotionally, cognitively, etc. She can take her time growing up and stay small for awhile! :)



Also, I didn’t know that many public schools charge for full day kindergarten?! It is a monthly price and only so many children get chosen for full day. Everyone else has to do half day. In my home town they switched kindergarten to full day for everyone. Even though it makes for a long day for those little guys, it’s a great opportunity to start off school with more time to soak everything in and get use to a school routine. So, which is better? What would you want for your child? What do you want as a teacher? 

Loving my time to blog! Such a nice way to end my day. Hope your week has started out Fabulous!

~Garnet Shumaker 

Signature coming soon ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment